welcome – connect
share – unite
CCIS Volunteer Testimonials
The success of our programs depends on the support of our Volunteers. Through their efforts our volunteers are rewarded in many ways. Please support the CCIS programs by becoming a CCIS member.
English in Action program feedback
- I have many past and current relationships with EIA students and spouses and I have hosted students visiting the Bay Area and new students coming to Stanford – truly wonderful individuals - positive and enlightening experiences and enjoyable, mutual cultural adventures.
- I enjoy meeting with my international post doc for conversation every other week.
- I had a great EIA time with my young partner, who now lives here, so we are still very good friends.
- I have not been an active EIA participant in volunteer activities now, but I have volunteered for functions when I am able. I enjoyed the EIA program. While I do not have any EIA partners now, but I Skype regularly with two former partners who have returned to Japan.
- I am currently helping a lovely Korean woman with her English. I love it!
- We have had four sets of conversation partners and all have been great experiences.
- My experience with working with an EIA partner in 2014-2015 was rewarding. Please send me a new partner!
- I love having a spouse as a partner in EIA and look forward to it every fall.
- I love my EIA experiences and feel grateful to meet with my partners.
- I meet with my EIA partner regularly and we go walking or hiking together.
- I continue to meet weekly with my EIA partner and we have found that we have many professional interests in common.
- I love being an English in Action partner for more years than I can remember – at least 10. It was the most rewarding of the several volunteer programs that I participated in after my retirement from my work as a marriage and family therapist. I treasure my memories of the young people (and some visiting scholars) who have become my lifelong friends.
- I volunteered for the English-in-Action program in 2015 and I had a very positive experience.
- I have always enjoyed my experiences with my English-in-Action partners. They have been from many different countries, and it's always interesting to be with them and learn about their life and family and to share my love of this area as I help them with conversational English. It's a win-win program for both of us.
- I had a wonderful experience serving as a mentor to a woman living in a new country away from family with two young children. We meet weekly to talk and share challenges facing any young family. I helped answer her curious questions and practiced English. It was very rewarding to help a fellow human being.
- English in Action is a pleasure. I have gotten as much or more than any of my partners.
- Enjoyed bonding with English-in-action Partners.
Hospitality program feedback
- I have had two Hospitality partners, each for over a year, and they are going great!
- Love my experiences with Hospitality program.
- We have enjoyed our first experience hosting a student. We take her roommate and her to dinner monthly.
- I have hosted individual and families of international scholars but have not been actively participating in the group activities.
English Classes program feedback
- Love teaching and schmoozing with students and their families; they have all been lovely people.
Homestay program feedback
- I enjoyed hosting incoming graduate students with Homestay in the fall.
- I want to let CCIS know how terrific I think CCIS is, and how meaningful and rewarding it has been for us. We have now been associated with the group for about a year, both as participants in the English in Action program (with several partners), and as weekly participants in Friday Coffees...
- ...I have also had the opportunity to try out some new ideas. For example, I started a small English conversation group for Chinese internationals, which I have found to be completely fascinating. I have been given wise and kind guidance in my programs by Gwyn, Marcia, and Carol, and have had the chance to meet many wonderful volunteers. Many thanks to you all, and for the opportunities that your program offers.
- CCIS is a great way to learn about other cultures and make good friends with people you would not be able to usually meet.
- Volunteering with international students has been a rewarding experience as language and cultural goals are furthered through focused, amiable exchanges.
- Very rewarding. Meet wonderful people; learn about other cultures.
- Very happy indeed. Could not ask for anything better. Most enjoyable.
- CCIS is the best volunteer experience I have ever enjoyed—good conversation, nice people, flexibility to my schedule and learning about another culture. You can be involved at any level you choose. What more could I ask.
- I think participating in the CCIS programs is extremely rewarding and being around the younger generation is delightful.
For more information contact: MemberServices@CCISstanfordU.org